Introduction to Catholicism!

The Catholic Church bases its doctrines about Jesus. Catholics believe that Jesus is a single human and a divine individual. He is a special person and that is awaited the messiah of Israel. Messiah is the meaning of individual who is a leader and the savior of humankind. Jesus was a great teacher and his very teachings are from God. Jesus is born from  Mary who is a virgin that is blessed from God. The Catholic Church also believes in the Holy Trinity, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

The Catholic Church believes through the doctrines about Jesus on a range of foundations, such as the bible, Church interpretations, and through Church traditions. The bible consist stories about teachings of Jesus and the will of life. In addition, the Catholic Church also consist of councils and Church traditions of the major creeds, and teachings of the Catholic authority about Jesus. The importance of Catholicism is so much more in depth with Jesus Christ and the Church. The religion of Catholics offers so much more.

I chose to do my field study at St. Marks Catholic Church, located at 1725 Dorchester Avenue, Dorchester, Ma. I attended 3 Sunday masses to formulate my findings. First of all, a Sunday mass is a day where Catholics worship the lord. It’s a day of service to pray for God and thank him for Jesus. The priest consecrates the bread and wine.

The presence of Jesus is made in the form of bread and wine. There are readings from the Bible and mainly making a prayer for God. In addition, it’s a place where Catholics come together as a community and respect each other. The Sunday mass is a day where service is important and sacred for Catholics.

Here is a visual of a Catholic Sunday Mass

The visual media offers a short experience of my "fieldwork". The Catholic mass is one of the most sacred rituals in the world. The Priest acts in persona of Jesus Christ.  The Sunday mass is part of the Eucharist prayer known as the institution narrative. The Eucharist is a holy Catholic ceremony commemorating Jesus last supper with his disciplines. The institution narrative is a recall when and how Jesus Christ established the Eucharist. The holy actions of Jesus Christ were simple and straight-forward. He sacrifices his life for the act of love and friendship. Through the act of love and friendship it connects to charity completely.

My observation of St. Marks Catholic Church, the church is a perfect place for observation because of the diverse community of Catholics. The observation gave me a spectrum of perspectives on the religion, because the uniqueness of environment. During the Sunday mass, everybody was friendly, humane, and welcoming. The diverse atmosphere have no effect on the environment all Catholics of different races are here to pray for God. The diversity of the Church made it comfortable as well.

The Question

Why is charity important to the people of the Catholic Church?

My interest is sparked through the Catholic charity. Through observation and research my question is formulated. The cycle of charity, the Catholic Church provide services, rituals, and events for the religion. People and Catholic members volunteer to help maintain the church and also donate currency to keep the church. Currency being donated can help the religion stay alive. Charity contributions help the poor, homeless, sick, and the elderly. First of all, charity contributions support financial assistance for people who are in need of money to pay for bills. Secondly, charity help give homeless people shelter. Charity give clothes to children and family that are in need. In addition, Charity gives support and counseling to the people who are struggling. Lastly, charity offers emergency food assistance for people that are running out of food. Overall, charity contributions are a significant purpose that makes a big difference in the communities. The Catholic Church community contributions are priceless and is changing people's lives everyday.

Picture of Father Rev. Leonard Kayondo and me =)

After a powerful conversation with Father Leonard, Charity is more than just keeping the Church alive. Catholics follow Jesus command. His Command is charity and it means to have faith and a heart. Charity is taking the time to help our "Brothers" and "Sisters".The value of charity is being supportive of community and being mindful. Charity gives back to the people who are unfortunate and connects to people minds through thoughtfulness. The importance of charity is so much more than just money. It's about giving what you can, even if its small. Charity is reaching out to people who are in need. 

The Holy Bible: King James Version

The First Epistle of Paul the Apostle to the

Corinthians 

Chapter 13

1. Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
  2. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
  3. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
  4. Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
  5. Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
  6. Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
  7. Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
  8. Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
  9. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
  10. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
  11. When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
  12. For now we see through a glass, darkly, but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
  13. And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

The virtue of charity is so powerful within the Holy Bible. My favorite is the Corinthians I, chapter 13:3 "And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing." Chapter thirteen, line three vastly interests me the most. The quote says all the goods are bestowed and fed to the poor, but charity is not given with love, so giving without love will profit no love at all. In addition, it also means don’t give goods if it’s not from the heart. It’s not about competition of giving and receiving. And it’s not about giving all of what is fortunate; it’s about giving from a loving heart. My connections with this quotation can truly run deep. My conversation with Father Leonard truly empowered my question. Father Leonard told me a story that shock my research about charity. He told that he seen rich people come to St. Marks Catholic Church and donate a large surplus amount of money. On the same day a widow donated a single coin. And that single coin is more meaning full then a surplus of donations. The widow gave all she got and she gave it with love. She didn't have the riches or the fortunate, but she gave it with the love of Jesus and the lord. She gave it through thoughtfulness of the unfortunate.

Another powerful passage is the Corinthians I chapter 13:13, “And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.” The quotation speaks for power of charity. Faith is a strongly held belief or complete trust. In addition, hope is a feeling of expectation for a desire for something to happen. Charity is the voluntary of giving help or to those in need. Charity can break the aspects of faith and hope. Charity is much deeper than giving. Charity is love. Charity is the power of thoughtfulness of others. Love is the essence of what and who we are. Love is charity.