I wrote this essay about working at a non-profit organization called Hyde Square Task Force during high school. Hyde Squares mission is to develop the skills of youth, to enhance their lives and build a strong urban community. all of the programs are developed by resident of Jamaica Plain. Hyde Square Task Force has programs for youth and families that help them advance in school and in careers.

Motivation and Movement
Essay Assignment #3
Last year I used to work at a non-profit organization called Hyde Square Task Force (HSTF). Hyde square has many different programs such as Ritmo en Accion, which is a dance group that host community based performances and teach kids how to dance. The group that I belonged to was called the Youth Literacy Tutors (YLT). What I did was aid kids at the JFK elementary school with homework and help them achieve a greater understanding of literacy.  In Hyde Square I learned a tremendous amount, me and a group of teenagers actually published a children’s book. The name of the book is called “Seedless Elementary: Flippy and Scooter’s healthy adventure.” This book was created to educated children about staying healthy. I went back to Hyde Square and volunteered in the after school program of the JFK elementary. What I found shocking was all of the kids remembered me from last year and ran towards me to greet me. For the last couple of weeks I help out, I joined activities, read with the kids and played sports with them. In the after school program, the majority of the kids were minorities. I remember a particular kid who just came to America, he reminded me of me when I first arrived. He was learning surprisingly fast, it hasn’t been a year and he can almost speak English fluently. I truly believe in the mission of Hyde Square to make our community more united and safer for everyone and I will always do what I can to help this organization in every possible way I can.

I encourage everyone to volunteer in something that they believe in. i enjoyed working inn Hyde Square, the smiles on the kids faces make worth while. writing this essay was not difficult at all I just wrote down what I thought and how i felt.