Human Rights and Moral Philosophy-Post 1

This post reflects my opinion on human rights and how we, as a population, have a duty to strive towards equal access to these rights for all. I believe the biggest moral dilemma of our time is the idea that wealth and medical care are correlated. 

I believe the most important moral issue of our time is healthcare because it is the most emergent need by people in the world yet the least equally dispersed system. In my opinion there are basic rights that each person should have access to. These needs are healthcare, clean water, a nutritious food source and education. We, as a population, can control a community’s access to good healthcare by providing hospitals, healthcare professionals and supplies. It is our ethical duty to make sure each person can access good and safe healthcare.

I do not believe this accessibility should be relative to wealth and unfortunately in our society today, it often is. Internationally we can see examples of this in the developing world and the extreme lack of basic healthcare. Locally we see examples of impoverished medical facilities even in Massachusetts, the hub of healthcare.

We live in a world where depending on where you are born, you can already be at a disadvantage with your health. Women in Eastern Uganda have a great risk of death during labor because they have no mode of transportation, other than walking hours, to get to the hospital. Once the woman arrives at the hospital, she is again at risk, if there is a visiting doctor available, or another medical professional who is able to deliver a child safely. If she is HIV positive, she can reduce her chances of passing the disease onto her child by taking specific precautions and medications during labor. These steps are often overlooked when a woman is forced to deliver her child at home. The death rate of women in labor in Uganda is incredibly high.

A woman living in a city close to a clean, progressive hospital may consider delivering a child a more routine surgery. I’m not sure there is a more serious moral issue than someone’s life expectancy being dependant on the access they have to healthcare.